Thursday, February 28, 2013

Maurice armies.

An anticipation of a up coming Succession war campaign one of the participants (Jon of Wargaming Recon) asked me to provide design an army for him to run. So I have the golden opportunity of building my enemies army!(or he could be my Allie as sides are not picked yet)  Well to help keep my self honest I honest I have built him three option I would love feed back.

Jon has a basic but not a detailed knowledge of the 18th century and has only played Maurice once (and does no have the rule book, yet).  Jon also feels he has issues handling cavalry properly so he asked for the following of his army "Something basic and straightforward with a defensive inclination is probably best.  Light on the cavalry, heavy on the durable infantry and artillery."

So Option 1 probably the most balanced army in the group.

This is force has a bit of every thing it should defend well and has the ability attack.  It also has enough Cavalry that Jon has the opportunity to try using that arm.

Option 2 Is sort of based on how I might do the Continental Army for Maurice.
Jon probably knows the Revolutionary War Army best of all armies in the period so why not give him an army based on something familiar. This is a good mix of good and poor infantry, and lots of irregulars. Feudal will lets him count these guys toward his Route level and this army actually has the highest route level.  Skirmishers gives the irregular infantry a better range and all irregulars a chance to evade. All cavalry is Irregular so Jon doesn't have to deal with that arm he can just have them cover a flank. He'll also win a lot of scouting rolls so he can choose to defend a lot of the time.

Finally Option 3 This is something of a Prussian option.


Lots of good infantry and enough cavalry to keep the other man honest Cadence and Professional train will help the infantry and Artillery get in to position to attack.  One might swap Artillery Academy for Oblique sacrificing some defensive fire power for more nimble army. 

I like all three of these armies. Option 1 is close to what I am doing for D'Argent.

 

I wanted an army more balanced for attack and defense and I sacrifice Rout level and long range punch in order to get Rally to the Color and Lethal Volleys which I hope will allow me to grind my enemies down in a musket dual.  The above is not final but I am happy with it.

Please let me know what you think of these.





5 comments:

  1. The Black Powder rules discuss a leader like Jon. I recall the words "feckless" and "fool" being in the description.

    That being so, I would definitely rule out option 1. That much cavalry just encourages silliness in someone unfamiliar with its proper use.

    Of the remaining 2, I think I'd lean towards the "Prussian" build. Solid, well trained infantry and enough cavalry to deal with any horsemen the enemy might have, but not so much that he'll be encouraged to throw them away in glorious, fruitless charges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This from Peter on the Muarice Forum:'m not a great fan of 'Artillery Academy' and 4 guns without also taking 'Professional Train' to allow some movement - not least if the enemy sends some cavalry out to hunt down the guns. I've also seen the rain come on too often to rely on artillery.
    With option 1 I would add 'Professional Train' , drop 'Steady Lads' (relies in the enemy charging you, and only provides a re-roll) giving three points to swap one of the irregulars for a regular - probably the cavalry as I consider iregular infantry to be more flexible.

    With option 2 I would lose a gun and the artillery academy, and find another use for 10 points. That could buy two irregulars and still upgrade another unit to elite; or any variety of other things (though you might end up just using 99 points).

    Option 3 is very strong
    (I think he is actually talking about D'Argent's army): the combination of 'Rally to the Colours' and 'Lethal Volleys' makes the regular units very powerful, so I would ditch the Irregulars and buy another regular cavalry - another infantry unit (or two irregulars if the terrain warrants it) could be taken as mercenaries if attacking It also raises the Morale Level by one, which helps overall toughness too. Without the irregulars, it will be easier to command as well - though it will want low terrain levels.

    Just my two pennyworth though - the armies as described look OK and many of the National Advantages are a matter of personal preference.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're confused. The words you're looking for are "stoic" and "objective-minded" or how about a statement like "scouting for the enemy's weakness."

    :P

    Remember how much I enjoyed using cavalry in Daybreak at Hangman's Creek? "CHAAAAAAARGE!....Success? SUCCESS. SUCCESS! CHAAAAAAAARGE again....DAMMIT, FLEE FLEE FLEEE!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can personally attest to how strong "Rally to the Colours" is and how much it impacts the game.

    Picture this scene, the general on the field is pleased with himself because his forces have shot and charged the opposing forces time and after time, inflicting numerous casualties.

    His counterpart, however, keeps waving that dang flag and "Rall[ies the troops] to the Colours" removing all evidence of harm.

    So, more men are rushed to the front to engage the enemy. More of the other general's troops succumb...and are then rallied to the colours again; once more erasing all trace of the carnage previously inflicted.

    General A turns to his aides and says "We cannot defeat this uncommon foe. Let us retire and reconsider our options over a glass of whiskey."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jon I think you mean "discuss terms over a glass of whiskey"

    ReplyDelete